Thursday, May 1, 2014

The View From the Texas Governor’s Mansion

Did I mention that our First Baptist Church in downtown Austin stood next to the Governor's Mansion? Yes, and every Sunday when church was over, I came down the church steps wearing my white gloves and hat, looking over at the beautiful structure.  The heavy oak trees surrounding the house and lawn held out their huge arms as if embracing all of Texas.

I think the historic Mansion enjoyed looking out on Congress Avenue at all the business establishments, the traffic, grand movie houses, the Paramount and State Theatres, and the Capitol itself. (You do know our Texas Capitol dome is slightly higher than the one in Washington, D.C., don't you?)

 The famous landmark, Lamme’s Candies, must have felt prominence, being watched by the stately Mansion just up the hill.

 First Baptist Church felt a sense of pride, having Governor Allan Shivers in its congregation. In fact, the Governor taught my dad’s Sunday School Class. What a time in Texas history! Can’t you picture the handsome Texas governor, crossing the street from the Mansion on Sunday morning, in long, purposeful strides, his gray sideburns visible beneath his big white Stetson? The epitome of a Texas governor, Allan Shivers’ steady brown eyes, tall figure, and courteous manner filled the Texas tradition of orator, horseman, gentleman, and church-goer. Did I mention the Secretary of State who served with him, Zollie Steakley? He was chairman of the First Baptist Church deacon body!

Like night riders, Texas politics rode rampant in my hometown. Three doors down, 
my neighborhood housed, (when Congress was in session), a future U.S. president. No wonder I found myself working to help elect the next governor, while still in high school! My mother and dad worked in every political race, (local, state and national), giving and wearing buttons in support of their candidates.


*I’ll stop for this writing, but see what I am doing?  You can do this, too---write your story!  It's like nobody elses'! Get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment